About AustraliaContact Us

Australia is one of the most socially and ecologically diverse countries in the word keeping in mind it variety of fauna and culturally varying individuals. Australia also has a very standard and stable economy along with a reasonably low cost of living. Hence, it is a very suitable environment for education also keeping in mind that discrimination on the basis of religion, creed, colour etc. are punishable offences.

The natives are mostly kind, gentle and fun loving, they would not miss a chance to help a person in need. Good weather and climatic conditions make it a great choice if one wishes to study abroad, away from their homeland. Australia’s preferred language is English, so there will be no problem in communication. Is Australia not on your list for studies abroad? Well you better add it!

To begin studying in Australia, there are a range of entry requirements you may have to meet.

English language requirements

In some cases, you may need to provide results of an English language test. Be aware that the English language skill level required by an institution can be different from the level of skill required for your student visa application. You should carefully check student visa information on both the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)(opens in a new window) website and the institution website for any English language requirements.

Academic requirements

The academic requirements (including evidence of English language skills) you need to study in Australia will vary depending on the level of education you want to study. Institutions can have different entry requirements, so read the course information on their website carefully and contact them to ask for advice.

Here is some general guidance on entry requirements for the different levels of study:

  • English language - Entry requirements vary between institutions, and according to the level of English language course you want to study.
  • Schools - Entry requirements vary between schools depending on the state or territory you will be studying in. Academic performance and ability is considered during the application process.
  • Vocational education and training - In most cases there are no entrance exams for VET institutions. However, some courses may have specific pre-requisite subjects or work experience requirements.
  • Higher Education Undergraduate - To gain entry into an Australian undergraduate course you will need to have an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12), or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific pre-requisite subjects.
  • Higher Education Postgraduate - As well as the satisfactory completion of at least one degree at undergraduate level, your institution may take research ability or relevant work experience into consideration.

Tip: To meet the academic requirements of an Australian high school qualification, consider taking a Foundation course. Also called bridging study, they are intensive courses that will help you meet the entry requirements. They are usually one year long and are offered by most higher education institutions.

Visa requirements

The student visa you need depends on your chosen course of study. As a guide, the typical key requirements you will need to meet are:

  • Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate.
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement. Read more about this on theDepartment of Immigration and Border Protection(opens in a new window) website.
  • Sufficient funds for airfares, course fees and living costs.
  • English language proficiency.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Acceptable Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Read more about the Student Visa Key Requirements(opens in a new window). The DIBP(opens in a new window) website provides detailed information on student visas. It also has a Visa Wizard(opens in a new window) to help you identify which visa you might be eligible for.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Australia has a special system of health cover for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). It will help you pay for medical or hospital care you may need while you’re studying in Australia; it will also contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and an ambulance in an emergency. When studying in Australia, you will need OSHC for yourself, and any family travelling with you, before you arrive. It is a requirement of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your time on a student visa in Australia.

Read more about OSHC on the 'Insurance' page in the 'Live in Australia' section of this website.


No. 1/50 G Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi-110021
PHONE LOCAL: (011) 4139.9900
INTERNATIONAL: +91.11.4139.9900
FAX LOCAL: (011) 2687.2228
INTERNATIONAL: +91.11.2687.2228


Shivaji Stadium Metro Station, Mezzanine Level,
Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Connaught Place
New Delhi-110001