The Early the better!
Earlier is always preferred and advisable especially if you are applying for any year long program abroad. Entry deadline of each program varies so you need to research and understand the deadline as per your interest of region, course and country to avoid any hindrance in starting your program. General Guidelines as the specific tenure of studies is as following:-
- Academic Year Long Programs
- For Month Long Short Term Program
Since you require a specific visa for full semester academic programs and in addition to that some relevant test scores as well, there will be lot many formalities involved in compiling the formalities. It is highly recommended to start well in advance with maximum time frame of 4-5 months prior starting of the program.
There is always rush in these programs since not only individual students but even the schools and universities also run these kinds of exchange programs across the world. It’s always advisable to start the process at least 3 months before the starting of program.
Initiate the process at least 4-6 weeks prior to commencement of the program.
Eligibility depends on level of study, preferred institute of course and very important choice of destination as per the following details:
- GPA requirement of the program
- Pre requisite qualification for the desired program
- Enough Funds to pay tuition fee and cover your living expenses
- Strong recommendation letter from teachers and employers
- Additional co-circular activities, achievements, social services engagement also plays a vital role in strengthen your candidature
- Selecting the country, college and program
- Download and Completion of application form
- Arranging certificates and transcripts
- Language proficiency proof
- Arranging finances
- Arranging documents
- Photographs Xerox
- Filled application Form
- Statement of purpose
- Letter of Recommendations
- Bank Statements
- Application Fee
- Cover Letter
- Sending all required documents along with filled application form
- Sending respective test score
- Initiate Visa Process
Every College or university doesn’t require interview but some do. With visa norms tightening day by day interview is process to judge the student’s genuinely. Students need to justify the objective for study abroad and clarify the finance relates question. Visa officers intend to know your real intensions are either simply to go there as a student to stay and enjoy or genuinely interested in pursuing your studies for making a good career and future. Only key for the success of interview is confidence, honesty and in-depth knowledge about course curriculum and country.
Answer is simple “Where in the world you want to go”.
It varies from country to country. Some countries don’t consider the gap years at all some consider less than 4 some consider as well. You need to check and understand specific countries criteria in this regard.
It purely depends on your interest and choice of country you wish to study.
Working part-time while studying is always a great opportunity to gain work experience, meeting new people, enhance language skills, getting exposure and understanding of labor market and norms of that country you are studying.
Working while studying abroad will also helps you in straightening out your some expenses while living abroad, but you must have enough funds to support you while you are studying to cover your all expenditures of living and studying.
You need to find out carefully which specific country allows the foreign students to work. You also need to investigate and understand the terms and conditions in doing so. Another important factor to keep in mind is rules and regulations change frequently, so stay updated on the recent changes happening related to work norms. Every country’s embassy’s website announces their recent changes, it is advisable to check and stay updated.
There is no such mandatory foreign language required to study abroad since all the courses are taught in English. This purely depends on the program you are studying. But if you learn a new language while studying in a new country making new friends and to work in foreign country, language skills are always top prospective for employers in respective country. This will also help you greatly if you travel as a student to immerse in new culture and explore new world.
It’s almost like packing your life into luggage. Just to avoid anything to miss out make a list of all essential things you may need there since you are going to stay there for longer duration. General Tips about do’s and dons for packing:About Luggage:-Less is always better!
- First and outmost check the luggage and regulations about size and weight limits of respective airline.
- Check the restrictions about things you can carry and things you cannot carry.
- Clearly label your entire luggage with your name complete contact and destination details.
- Avoid carrying more than two luggages.
- Carry a separate handy bag for important documents.
- Your Doctors Details
- Prescription and prescribed medicines, if any
- Students ID
- Copy of your passports
- Other important documents
- Adapters and chargers
Carry clothes which are comfortable suits to all types of weather
- Clothes which can be washed easily, dries quickly with minimal ironing requirement are ideal to carry
- Easy to handle clothes with mix and match options
- Do not forget to carry at least 1-2 set of professional clothes or suits for university, corporate visits and excursion etc.
- Do not forget to pack 1-2 pairs of formal shoes.
- 1-2 pair of toe-shoes
- Casual outfits jeans, t-shirts
- Formal outfits trousers and shirts
Each program with major or minor at both graduate and undergraduate level has different duration.
UndergraduateUndergraduate-4 years Bachelors Degree, Associate Degree
Post Graduate Diploma 1-2 years
Graduate /Post graduate/Masters Degree 2 years
Doctorate DegreeUsually 3-4 years
For any good student with required pre requisite academics, all documents available, sufficient funding and proof and language proficiency it is simple process and lengthy procedure since so many steps are involved, but not complex.
To immerse in diverse culture and experience, to explore new location, to hone new language and skills summer abroad are the best programs to provide an exciting, international educational exposure.Unlimitited list of different summer programs for different destination, different duration and different subjects are available across the globe. These summer programs usually last from minimum 2 weeks to 6 weeks and vary from program to program. For any high school or graduate student who wishes to utilize the summer time experimenting new things, acquiring new skills, and making lifelong friend. One need to have good academics supported by strong references or recommendation letter with enough involvement of extra co-curricular activities makes it a perfect choice for any student to opt for summer abroad program.
Once you have decided the place to study abroad another crucial and very important factor is finding a suitable accommodation while studying abroad. There are plenty of options to choose depending on your own criteria, budget, location and psychological preferences. Usually all the universities and institutes offer on campus accommodation on long term or short term basis. The housing options available abroad are
- On Campus Hostel accommodation
- Rental Apartments, Flats
- Home stay
You need to make list of your requirements and choices before you shortlist any accommodation, whether you wish to give the preference to location, do you want to save more on transportation, are you comfortable in staying in cool but distance place, do you have budget constraint, do you need complete independence to manage everything at your own, you need all comforts of housing to name a few.
“Uncertainty in life’s way of saying that there are only few things you can control.”
Every study abroad program requires you to have some insurance especially if you have a longer duration of stay abroad. There are different types of insurance which are advisable for students to guard themselves from unforeseen crisis in a new country.
- Medical Insurance: - To cover the medical expenses for any sickness injury or any other medical need.
- Emergency Evacuation:- In case of sudden medical urgency where you need to be taken to different location or place for your treatment and need. This will cover the transportation cost of ambulance, any special transport, and helicopter or may be air rescue.
- Loss or theft Insurance:- While travelling or studying quite possible you may lose some of your valuable belongings or a theft can happen. To cover these losses it is advisable to have this insurance.